The Japanese rice ball (Onigiri), which is shaped like a triangle instead of being complete round, is a handy snack that you eat any time and take almost anywhere. Here are some easy tools to help you make Japanese onigiri at home!
To make onigiri you will need the following:
- 3 cups freshly cooked rice
- Sea salt
- 2 sheets of Nori (dry seaweed sheets) cut into strips approximately 5cm wide and 10cm long
- Black and white sesame mix
- Small bowl of water
For the onigiri filling:
- 3 Umeboshi
- 1 grilled salmon (shredded)
- 3 tablespoons bonito mixture (mix bonito flakes with a little soy sauce)
- 1 small cup of mixed tuna with mayo
Instructions to make onigiri
- In a small rice bowl, add a little salt and a scoop of rice.
- Make a hole in the middle with your thumb and place one umbeboshi inside.
- Cover with a little more rice.
- Wet your palms with a little water and add a little salt.
- Place all of the rice in your hand and gently roll into a ball.
- Shape the ball into a triangle with rounded edges and place a strip of nori on top or sprinkle with sesame mix.
- Follow these steps for all of the other fillings.
- Optional: You can also evenly mix the rice with salmon or bonito mixture and shape into a triangle without nori.