Here’s a step by step tutorial on how to make Japanese Gyoza
You will need the following
- 500g ground beef
- 500g ground pork
- 1½ – 2 cups chopped Chinese napa cabbage
- 4 chopped shiitake mushrooms
- ¼ cup chopped chives
- 3 finely chopped cloves of garlic
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon coarse black pepper
- 3 tablespoons sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon Japanese shichimi (7 flavour chilli pepper)
- 30 – 40 gyoza shells
- Small bowl with water
- Cooking oil
- Mix a few tablespoons of soy sauce with tsuyu (noodle dipping sauce) or soy sauce, mirin (rice wine) and a teaspoon of sesame oil.
- Mix all ingredients in a large bowl.
- Place one gyoza shell in the palm of your hand and fill it with approximately 1½ – 2 tablespoons of the mixed ingredients.
- Wet the tip of your finger with water and run it along the edge of the gyoza shell then fold one edge over to the other and pinch down to keep them together.
- Heat up a skillet with a little cooking oil and place the gyoza side down. Let them fry until a little golden and flip to do the same on the other side.
- Add a little water to the skillet and allow the gyoza to cook for approximately 2 minutes.
- Let cool a little bit and enjoy!