To make fried tofu, Japanese style, you’ll need the following:
- 2 large soft tofu cubes
- Paper towel or clean cloth
- Cutting board
- Medium bowl of water or two large food cans
Here’s what you need to make the marinade:
- 6 tablespoons soy sauce
- 6 tablespoons mirin
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- Optional: a pinch of shichimi powder
And now here are the cooking instructions:
- Take the paper towel or heavy cloth and place on a hard flat surface.
- Place the tofu on the cloth and cover with more paper or cloth.
- Place the cutting board on top of the tofu and then place the bowl or cans on top of the board, making sure that the weight is equally distributed.
- Let it sit for approximately 15 – 20 minutes.
- Once the water has drained from the tofu, cut them into 2cm cubes.
- In a shallow pan or ziplock bag, mix the marinade ingredients and place cubes tofu inside.
- Let it sit for approximately 30 minutes.
- Heat a pan over medium heat and add tofu with marinade.
- Cook for 5 minutes or until golden brown and serve with freshly cooked rice.